Textile Threads: Progress report for 7 April
Today, we've got a big round of updates to share. We've been getting some great early feedback from Threads users and have learned a lot building Buckets and our own internal systems. Our recent work on go-threads has improved a lot of the usability, added some missing features, and moved toward better naming conventions. Meanwhile, we've pushed js-threads up to an eleven. We're excited to share all the details below.
Background Links 📘
- A protocol & event-sourced database for decentralized user-siloed data
- Previous progress summary
- Getting Started with Threads – an EthDenver primer
- Project planning
Next Steps 🍿
- Improve the default CRDT codec.
- Implement the default ACL.
- Provide examples for integration with identity solutions.
Focus Areas 📐
- Release js-threads (stay tuned for official release post) !!!
- Improved configuration of keys and IDs.
- Re-enabled pubsub for direct sharing of online peers.
- Renaming systems based on early user-feedback.
- Clean-up several APIs for improved usability.
Discussion & Planning Changes 🤔
- We're focused on integrating a default JSON Document CRDT that can work in both Go and JS!
- Threads are very app-centric to start, but enabling the creation of user-silo'd datasets is just a couple steps away. The major step being, Thread support for user-owned identity tools. We'll be working to show this in action soon.
- Re-enabled PubSub for update publishing & subscription: https://github.com/textileio/go-threads/pull/275
- Thread Delete: https://github.com/textileio/go-threads/pull/274
- DBs only run in JSON mode: https://github.com/textileio/go-threads/pull/277
- Migrate Foldersync into go-threads: https://github.com/textileio/go-threads/pull/268
- Consolidate gRPC servers: https://github.com/textileio/go-threads/issues/267
- Autostart the store on creation: https://github.com/textileio/go-threads/issues/230
- ThreadID used for DBs: https://github.com/textileio/go-threads/issues/264
- Experimental Android client: https://github.com/textileio/go-threads/pull/256
- Renamed store → db: https://github.com/textileio/go-threads/pull/258
- Collections & Instances (replaces models/entities): https://github.com/textileio/go-threads/pull/261
- Fix our windows build: https://github.com/textileio/go-threads/pull/269
- JS implementation of ThreadsDB: https://github.com/textileio/js-threads/pull/31
- Local-first database in JS: https://github.com/textileio/js-threads/pull/26
- Local-first store in JS: https://github.com/textileio/js-threads/pull/25
New Tickets & Questions 👀
- Enable bulk update requests over the Thread APIs.
- Docs & examples! A huge update will land here over the next week.
- Feel free to join the Textile Slack.
- If you would like to discuss our work and how it may fit into your own projects, please reach out through email or setup a quick call here.