Today, we are excited to release the first version of the Powergate documentation. In this release, you can already find a helpful project map to point you toward the key building blocks, an introduction to using the Devnet with the Powergate or to power a standalone Lotus client, store your first data, and more. We hope that by making the Powergate accessible and easy to use by all projects we can help more projects adopt Filecoin. With that in mind, we'll continue to improve the documentation and add new ways you can test and use the Powergate. Until then, let's take a look at what we've been up to since our last community update.
What is the Powergate?
As a refresher, or if you are new to the Powergate community updates, here's the simplest way to think about the Powergate: An API driven solution to deploy multi-tiered storage based on IPFS and Filecoin into systems and applications. Persist data on Filecoin, ensure availability on IPFS, manage one or many Filecoin addresses with access control, use multiple supported clients and libraries, and more! As mentioned above, you can read all about it in the docs :)
Background Links 📘
Next Steps 🍿
- Deploy on the Textile Hub.
- Add Filecoin Payment Channel support.
- Fix & update the Slashing Index.
- Create deals from existing CID (incl. path support).
Focus Areas 📐
- Running Powergate in production environments.
- Running Powergate on production Filecoin Testnet and creating first deals with miners.
- Improving and enhancing the embedded Filecoin Devnet (e.g. increased upper-bound of file storage).
Discussion & Planning Changes 🤔
- We've (temporarily) deprecated the lotus-archives. We did this because during development, we were proactively moving to staged networks, resetting our own nodes, and causing other interuptions and noise that would have made the archive usability unpredictable. If you were using the archives and still need it, please get in touch so we can assign the right priority to maintaining that service.
Given that we're behind on our community updates, here's a round-up of some of the more interesting tickets closed.
- JS Client https://github.com/textileio/powergate/issues/404
- Mutable system default CidConfig https://github.com/textileio/powergate/issues/426
- Released a binary for benchmarking https://github.com/textileio/powergate/issues/375
- Allow declaration of trusted miners for deals https://github.com/textileio/powergate/issues/376
- FFS log history endpoint https://github.com/textileio/powergate/issues/396
- List all miners you have existing deals with https://github.com/textileio/powergate/issues/329
- Manage multiple wallet addresses with single FFS instance https://github.com/textileio/powergate/issues/258
- Parallel deal execution https://github.com/textileio/powergate/issues/256
- Release of Go client (and gRPC libs) https://github.com/textileio/powergate/issues/233
- Update to IPFS 0.5.0 https://github.com/textileio/powergate/issues/222
We had a number of contributions back to Filecoin core projects, here are some of the more interesting ones.
- Fixed & adds test for CAR exporting https://github.com/filecoin-project/lotus/pull/1472 (2020-03-30)
- Improved the sectorbuilder mock so that we could run Devnet with larger files https://github.com/filecoin-project/sector-storage/pull/38
- Improved the setup and wiring of remote IPFS nodes in Lotus https://github.com/filecoin-project/lotus/pull/1843
New Tickets & Questions 👀
- Add support for offline deals https://github.com/textileio/powergate/issues/399
- Add support for file subselect from deals https://github.com/textileio/powergate/issues/400
- Add payment channel support https://github.com/textileio/powergate/issues/337